Nowadays, I think we use hate in general terms without fulling realizing the power of one word. Hate is a strong dislike or loathe of someone or something. Because hate is such a strong emotion it can cause someone to act out towards something in an extreme way. Just, for example, the holocaust. Because of the hate that Hitler had towards "imperfect races" he started his own genocide. According to Hitler himself, "hate is more lasting than dislike." I agree with that completely. Disliking something is as simple as "I don't like this flavor of ice cream." Totally fine, just an opinion. The hate Hitler caused during World War Two is still lasting today, affecting families of those fighting in the war, and those who have known someone who managed to survive through the Holocaust.During World War Two, it is hate that helped to cause such extreme discrimination towards others. The groups most discriminated against in World War Two don't leave much space for the average person to not be discriminated. According to Hitler those who have mental disabilities and other health issues such as being paralyzed should be discriminated and basically destroyed, to weed out those who do not fit the "perfect race." If you are gay, black, Jewish, in poor health, do not have blond hair and blue eyes, then you are discriminated. Likewise, in the United States many Japanese-Americans were discriminated against because we were fighting against the Japanese during World War Two. Even soldiers like Peter Ota, returning from serving the war were discriminated against. "We came back to Los Angeles at the end of the war, believing that there was no other way but to be American. We were discouraged with our Japanese culture. My feeling at the time was, I had to prove myself. I don't know why I had to prove myself. Here I am, an ex-GI, born and raised here. Why do I have to prove myself? We all had this feeling. We had to prove that we were Americans."
Sadly, discrimination is still here in the United States. Those most affected by discrimination today are people with a Spanish heritage, illegal immigrants, those not born here in the United States, those who do not speak English, those of African American heritage, those who are from, or look like they are from the Middle East, and those with a different sexuality are most targeted by discrimination.Image Credits
http://www.liferollercoaster.com/wp-content/uploads/hate.jpg
http://missivesfrommarx.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/muslim-discrimination.jpg

I love the quotes you used in this blog. I feel like you really understand the meaning of hate and what it does to people in history. Why do we discriminate? There has to be something in our brains that tells us whats right and whats wrong.
ReplyDeleteDanielle, you use huge words in here that I barely understand the meaning of. But you understand the concept of hate and discrimination! I admire it!
ReplyDelete